Jean Guichard was born in Paris on April 28th, 1952. He spend most of his school holidays at his Breton grandparents, in the Morbihan.
Motivated by travelling and photography, he carried out his military service in 1971 by embarking in Lorient, aboard the Commandant Bourdais, an advice-boat which was responsible for the assistance of deep-sea fishing. Trawlers took him to the Atlantic Ocean (Newfoundland) and especially to the Arctic (sea of the Labrador, sea of Greenland, sea of Norway, sea of Barents).
In Godthab, in Greenland, he purchases his first Nikon, financed thanks to his photos that he sold to the crew.
He is now a member of the association of the former sailors of the ship. http://anciensdubourdais.free.fr/
On his way back from the military service, he enters the P.R. service for the Department of Commerce, where his work is to follow the ministers's travels.
There, he learns about the technic of illustrated report.
In 1977, he joins the Sygma agency as photojournalist. In 1979, the agency entrusts him with Eric Tabarly's portrait at the time when they started the construction site of the hydrofoil Paul Ricard. He fulfills his work with success and will become a friend of the navigator.
He will make for this agency numerous reports:
Political personalities: Jacques Chirac, Jacques Delors, Marie-France Garaud, André Giraud, François Mitterrand, René Monory...
"Magazine" Reports : Africa, Argentina, Antarctica, Australia.
Sports events: the Olympic Games of Los Angeles, rally Paris-Dakar, sail competitions- Trophy of Multihulls, Ostar, Lorient-Bermuda-Lorient.
Nautical events: crossing of the Atlantic Ocean on a windsurfing board by Fred Beauchêne, crossing of the Atlantic Ocean by oar of Gérard d' Aboville.
International news, political conflicts: Ireland, Poland, New Caledonia, Germany.
War: Irak-Iran, Lebanon.
Most of these coverages will earn him major appearances in the international press: Figaro-Magazine, Paris-Match, VSD, Newsweek,Time, Bunte, Stern.
- In 1984, he leaves the Sygma agency to join the Gamma agency where he will have a similar career path.
- In 1989, he creates the GLMR agency with some colleagues. It is at this period that he begins his thorough work on lighthouses.
- In 1990, He obtains the second prize of World-Press for his famous photo of la Jument.
- In 1992, he publishes his first book on lighthouses with the editions Ouest-France (Phares). His work is distinguished by the Book Fair of Concarneau, which awards him the first prize for the illustrated book category, and by the Marine Academy which make him their prize-winner.
Despite the fact that the GLMR company was recognized in professional circles for the quality of its work, it could not resist to the economical crisis of the 90ies and ceased activity in 1995.
Jean Guichard then briefly becomes the director of l'Agence Générale d'Image, grouping of the agencies Gamma, Giraudon, Stills and Explorer.
- In 1996, he contributes to the composition of the photographic library of the group Accor. He will make numerous coverages for this company.
- In 1997 and 1998, he publishes two books on Egypt with the editions Solar.
- The 20th of July 2010 he is honored by the government as Knight of the Maritime Merit.
Since 1989, while continuing these other activities, Jean Guichard has constantly strengthened his work on lighthouses.
- LE RALLYE INACHEVE ( rally Paris-Dakar), Editions CALMANN-LEVY, Paris, 1986
- MEXICO 86 (Football World Cup) : Editions CALMANN-LEVY, Paris, 1986
- 15 JOURS A SEOUL (Olympic Games) : Editions MIRROIR-SPRINT, Paris, 1988
- SEOUL 88 (Olympic Games) : Editions CALMANN-LEVY, Paris, 1988
- PHARES (Lighthouses and their guards) : Editions OUEST-FRANCE, Rennes, 1991. 1st price of the book fair of Concarneau, 1st price of Marine's Academy.
- L' EGYPTE EN 1000 PHOTOS : Editions SOLAR, Paris, 1997
- DESTINATION EGYPTE : Editions SOLAR, Paris, 1998
- PHARES les gardiens de lumières : Editions TANA, Paris, 1999
- PHARES, ENFERS ET PARADIS : Editions OUEST-FRANCE, Rennes, 1999
- TOUS LES PHARES DE FRANCE : Editions OUEST-FRANCE, Coll. "Itinéraires de découvertes", Rennes, 1999
- PHARES DE L' ATLANTIQUE NORD : Editions OUEST-FRANCE, Rennes, 2002
- NORTH ATLANTIC LIGHTHOUSES : Editions FLAMMARION INC, Paris, 2002
- LIGHTHOUSES OF FRANCE : Editions FLAMMARION INC, Paris, 2002
- LEUCHTTÜRME DES NORDATLANTIKS : Editions MARITIM, Hambourg, 2004
- PHARES : Editions SELECTION DU READER'S DIGEST, Paris, 2005
- DE PHARE EN PHARE: Editions SELECTION DU READER'S DIGEST, Paris, 2006
- LES PLUS BEAUX PHARES DE FRANCE: Editions SÉLECTION DU READER'S DIGEST, Paris 2011.
- LES MAISONS-PHARES: Editions OUEST-FRANCE, Rennes 2011.
- DE MÉMOIRE DE PHARES: Editions OUEST-FRANCE, Rennes 2011.
- AGENDA DE LA MER : Editions ARTHAUD, Paris, 2002, 2003
- THE LIGHTHOUSE ENCYCLOPEDIA (Participation) : GUILFORD, THE GLOBE PEQUOT PRESS, 2004
- PHARE (agenda) : SELECTION DU READER'S DIGEST, Paris, 2005
- AGENDA DES PHARES 2010: Editions OUEST-FRANCE
- AGENDA DES PHARES 2013: Editions OUEST-FRANCE
Jean Guichard is passionate about golf, (hcp 12),
He is a member of the Ozoir-la-Ferrière golf club situated in east of Paris.
Member of "Association Sportive des Séniors Golfeurs de France" (ASSGF).
Member of the "Association de la Presse et du Golf" (APG).